Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Euaristeo Day 26... Living in the Moment


“Forever is composed of nows.” 
–Emily Dickinson 



Tomorrow our little family heads to my mom & dad’s for Thanksgiving. In our near 25 years of marriage we’ve only done this one other time.  I am so excited, I can just barely stand myself… I mean, there is just something about being in your parent’s house. Am I right? 

Here are just a few things I am looking forward to… 

Getting up early for coffee.  My dad is an amazing barista & my mom always reads us a little portion of scripture before we start the day. 

Listening to my dad & Chuck talk ‘shop’.  Nothing warms my heart more than to hear those two talking about what God is doing in the ministries He’s called them to.

Giggling with my mama & sisters. This probably needs no elaboration. 

Watching Hannah hang out with her cousins & maybe beat Gramma at checkers… that’s a BIG maybe.

Worshipping together at my daddy’s church. 

My mama’s cooking. She’s the best cook in the history of the world. 

So. Now that I have said all that, this blog today is partly about my mama’s homemade rolls & partly about… well, I’m getting ahead of myself. Back to the rolls. 

They are nothing short of amazing. I’m wracking my brain to find some descriptive words here & can honestly say… I got nothing. They are just… MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM…

 I’ve attempted to make them myself to no avail. I don’t know if it’s the complexity of the chemistry of yeast & flour & scalded milk or if I just get distracted with watching the balloon floats at the Macy’s Thanksgiving parade & miss a step all together. Now don’t get me wrong, my creations have been highly entertaining to say the least. One time they came out like rocks. The dog wouldn’t even eat them so, we repurposed them for a game of baseball in the back yard after dinner. Another time they rose so big that they took over the entire oven. When I opened the door… they took on a life of their own & practically swallowed me whole. Unfortunately, as large as they were, they were only filled with hot air. Hmmmm… shall we say, they were a teensy bit like their creator? 

Yeah... so... let’s move on… 

Anyway, my baby sister Yaya & I have always loved my mom’s rolls. When we were little girls, after everyone had gone to sleep for the night, we would sneak back down to the kitchen & sit giggling in the dark as we ate just a couple more. 

I am really looking forward to doing that with her Thursday night. 

& that leads me to what I’ve really been thinking about…

We live in such a fast paced, media driven world that often times, even when we are celebrating rare & precious moments with our friends & families we aren’t really there. We are checking our emails, or Facebooking, or texting, or playing on Instagram or Twitter or Snapchat, or pinning on Pinterest, Googling or blogging or watching the TV behind their heads.  

I’m guilty. I’m not gonna lie. 

But here’s what I am purposing to do for the next few days…. I’m going to attempt to be present. I’m going to leave my computer at home & will be limiting how much time I text (WHEW). Instead, I’m going to take my Bible & my camera, will write my thoughts in my journal with a pencil, will engage in conversation, will take walks with my parents, will be silly with my sister, will hold my husband’s hand, will give my daughter my undivided attention & will call our boys & our sweet daughter-in-law on Thanksgiving. 

I’m loving this whole holiday season a little bit better already.



I’m committing today to be present…
Will you? 



No comments:

Post a Comment